The Benefits of Using Digestive Enzymes
"It's not what you eat, it's what you absorb" - Dr. Wallach
Simply put, digestive enzymes are proteins that break down our food into minute pieces to allow them to enter our bloodstream and be carried around our body. Although, you may follow a healthy diet, it’s possible that the nutrients you are taking in aren’t providing you with any goodness. This particularly applies to people who have IBS, Crohn’s, coeliac disease, leaky gut or food allergies/intolerances. This inability to absorb the nutrients present in our food can cause long term health problems, this is where taking digestive enzymes can really help.
Different Types of Digestive Enzymes
Our bodies produce digestive enzymes in various organs such as the stomach, liver, small intestine, the pancreas and salivary glands. Different enzymes break down different foods. For example, lactase breaks down lactose which is a sugar found in milk and dairy products.
The results of some studies have shown that people with an intolerance to dairy products found they could tolerate the foods after taking the digestive enzyme lactase. Many digestive enzyme supplements contain a blend of enzymes such as amylase (an enzyme which breaks down carbs), lipase (helps break down fats), lactase, protease (breaks down proteins) and more.
- Less stress on the digestive system
- Less gut inflammation
- Improved food digestion
- Improved nutrient assimilation
- Balances gut flora
- Helps reduce the effects of food allergies and intolerances
- Strengthens the immune system
- Cellular energy production is increased
- Helps with auto immune problems such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Skin and tissue healing is enhanced
- Helps lessen the negative effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy in cancer patients